In 1839 Archbishop John Hughes purchased 106 acres at Rose Hill in the Bronx with the intention of building a seminary and college. The Rose Hill Manor house stood where the present Collins Auditorium is and Archbishop Hughes' brother in law Rodrigue built himself a home that still stands on the campus and is used as a student run coffee house. On June 24, 1841 the college opened with 6 students comprising the first class.
In 1846 St. John’s College was sold to the Jesuits. Jesuit priests from St. Mary’s College in Kentucky were recruited as professors and prefects. After the addition of a law school and medical school in 1907 the college gained university status. Because there was already a St. Johns University in Queens, the name was changed to Fordham University, reflecting the area in which it was established.
St. John's College becomes Fordham University
For a complete timeline, click the link below.
1839 - Archbishop Hughes purchases 106 acres of land for $30,000
1840 - William Rodrigue builds a family home on the property
1841 - St. Johns College opens its doors
1845 - University Church is built
1846 - St. John's is deeded to the Jesuits for $40,000
1854 - Debating Society established at the college
1855 - First theatrical productions put on
1859 - First official Baseball game
1860 - Seminary building sold to the Jesuits for $45,000 & Alumni Society is founded
1874 - School color changed from Magenta to Maroon
1883 - An official school Football team is organized
1885 - A Military Cadet Batallion is established
1902 - John Ignatius Coveney writes "The Ram" which becomes the University's fight song & First intercollegiate Basketball game
1907 - The name officially changes to Fordham University & Fordham University Press is created